Friday, December 4, 2009

Peppermint Pinwheels


I'm just about to make these, so I'll post a picture when I'm done. For now, picture perfect little red and white swirl cookies. These cookies are kind of a pain in the prep, but pay off in the end.

3/4 c butter, softened (no substitutes)
3/4 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t peppermint extract
1/4 t red liquid food coloring (use less for pink swirls instead of red)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide in half. Add extract and food coloring to one portion. Roll out 16X10 rectangle (this is the hard part) from each half (see hint at the bottom). Place red rectangle over plain. Tightly roll, starting with long side. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate over night or until firm. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4" slices. Place 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 35o degrees, 12-14 min, until set. Cool 2 min before removing to wire racks to cool completely. 4 dozen.

Hint: I just came up with an easier way to roll out the rectangles. I spread parchment paper over a 10X15 cookie sheet (with edges), covered the dough with another sheet of parchment paper, and rolled out the dough to the edges. That way, I came up with a uniform size and cleaner edge. It's not the 'right' size called for in the recipe, but for my purposes it works perfectly. I can't get it much bigger than that anyway.  It saved a ton of work.

1 comment:

  1. Just stopping though and found these! These look delicious! I must try them! :)

    ReplyDelete