Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cheater Chicken Noodle Soup

Okay, you were asking for my chicken noodle soup recipe, but there really isn't one.  I just sort of throw stuff together, and it turns out a little different every time.  But, I just made some and wrote down what I did.  This was kind of a cheater version, though.

Chicken Noodle Soup

12 c chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 to 2 T parsley flakes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 3 T melted butter, then add 2 T flour and mix it around before adding to soup
2 12.5 oz cans chicken
3 c egg noodles
freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste

Simmer all ingredients except pasta until veggies begin to soften, then add pasta and simmer until pasta is cooked.

**Okay, I usually used grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, but I didn't have any around.  Also, I usually make the noodles (recipe below), but just didn't have the time.  Like I said, this is a cheater version.  Also,  I actually used pasta, but do not recommend it as it will continue to absorb moisture and grow; not great for leftovers.  Egg nooddles are much better for the soup, but I didn't have them on hand.  Just play around with the recipe and tweak it to how you like it.

Homemade Noodles

1 c flour
2 eggs
1/2 t salt

Mix all ingredients well. Roll out on floured surface until very thin, cut small strips (I use a pizza cutter for this), and drop directly into boiling soup.  They cook in just a few seconds.  My kids totally love them--they are the big, bulky kind that we used to have! :)

1 comment:

  1. oooh! So glad you put it up because I make it almost every other day probably and sometimes forget to put things in it and don't know what other people put in it so yay! Dave's going to love it.. like he doesn't already :)

    ReplyDelete