Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup



For all those soup lovers out there. This is the delicious one I made at Christmas.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or substitute tenders)
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (14 oz) fat-tree chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with mexican seasoning, undrained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (4 oz) chopped mild green chilies
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste

Optional (and highly recommended) toppings: sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, lime


Directions:
1. Coat Crock Pot with nonstick spray. Add all ingredients except toppings. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is done.

2. Remove chicken with slotted spoon. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces. Return to Crock Pot and stir well. 

3. Top as desired. 

Note: I am generous with the seasonings when I make it, but I like it a little spicier. You can add a bit of taco season for an extra kick. Also, I don't add the can of mild green chilies and I haven't missed a bit of the flavor, so I would say chilies are optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment